September 15, 2008

Today

There are days where you wonder why?
Today was such a day. It started out innocent enough, except that it was a Monday! Up at 6:30, making certain that certain teens were up. Making kids lunches, rushing kids to school, you know, the typical Mom jobs.

Handsome was home. It was a very unusual day off, so we decided to do the registering the car thing. I decide to shower, because frankly, it was the only safe thing to do for all concerned. While I am thus engaged, Handsome decides to wash "one" of the cars. The one most needing to be registered. Now I don't know how this works at other peoples homes, but I have kind of made it my life's mission to not let my car get under 1/2 a tank of gas, mainly because of the sticker shock, but also because in case of an emergency, I would like to know that I could get somewhere. As for my Handsome Husband, he has a different philosophy, that would be the "let's see how far we can take a car on a tank of gas", philosophy.
So, I am sitting in the drive saying to said Handsome husband, while you now change I will go and put gas in this car so that we will be able to make it to the emissions station. I put the car in reverse, and it chugs, sputters, then dies! UGH! He has run it out of gas! Cursing, I get in my car, the one with gas, take a gas can to the filling station and put in my 2 gals of gas.

This in and of itself would not be a problem, but in the background of this chaos, he has gotten several calls from his restaurant, first being the opening manager did not show up for his shift and all of the employees have been waiting in the parking lot to get into work. Tracking down a manager was handled, then the call came that the whole of the mall, where the restaurant is located, does not have any electricity, what to do with all the food they had just started preparing? My Handsome husband is trying very hard to stay calm....

then I came back with the gas thinking, that this would solve that problem and we could be on our way, singing a happy tune, but you know how our life goes, not so fast!

The car STILL refuses to start. After a lot of head scratching, digging around under the hood, we get a little turn over, but alas, not for long. FINALLY, the problem is discovered! the connection to the coil was loose. Finally! Now we decide that the Handsome Husband can get washed up while I go put more gas in the car, Yeah! Success at last! I drive down to the gas station, fill it up, get in the car to return, to pick up said Handsome, and the car won't start! Are you kidding me? This car that before its bath was running just fine? I finally get it to turn over, but no such luck, I am able to move away from the pump before it dies, but just. Frustrated I call my Handsome Husband and tell him to come and rescue me quick before I completely flip out! To the rescue he comes. The car starts, but is running very badly. We take it home, I tell him to park it in the sun and we can come and get it later, in the meantime, let's just register the other vehicles, and come back for that one.

An hour later, we come home, start the car, which starts easily, we drive it down for emissions testing, it passes and we license it and now it is running fine. Moral of the story, don't wash your car before taking it for any state kind of tests!

(Oh, and the electricity came on, the restaurant got up and running, and it turned into a great day!)

4 comments:

Harlene said...

I have a few tips for you to make the DMV quite entertaining!

Again, you clearly need some iceberg fries!

nevadanista said...

:D Cars have minds of thier own, don't they?

I used to keep my car half full, but at some point got out of the habit. I think I'll start again. Thanks for reminding me.

Camille said...

That's quite the ordeal! Hey thanks for stopping by the blog. Good to hear from you. Tell Alexia Happy Late Birthday from us.

Anonymous said...

When the red light blinks, there are still a good 60 miles ahead....