January 10, 2009

The Year was 2008

Every year, I try to write a Christmas letter. Some years it comes after the New Year's and other years I decide to be on top of things and send it before Christmas. Last year (2007) was no exception. As soon as I put it in the mailbox, I had a thought, now that you have put down in words the kind of year we have had, everything is going to change. I was not disappointed. SO, with that being said, I made a conscious choice this year to NOT write a Christmas letter or a New Years letter, instead I figured I would let the last year slip into obscurity. I should have been a Catholic, because guilt got the better of me. I decided I would be very wrong, to not share the good the bad and the ugly.
Here goes, and know I won't feel bad if you walk away....
After the Christmas letter went into the mailbox, Jac proceeded to have another heart attack, so we spent the last part of December and first part of January thinking he might possibly have to have bypass surgery. We were very lucky, when they decided that the blockage he had might be better dealt with with just medication, only because of where the blockage was. So with new prescriptions in hand, employment terminated with the man that had taken us to Reno, he proceeded to look for another job. We were very lucky in that, he had several offers, but decided to take the one with BJ'S Restaurant. Our thinking was that it would keep us in Reno so that Michael could finish out her Senior Year of high school, but that is what we get for thinking. Instead, they liked him sooo much, that they decided to have him open up the Northwest region, hence the move to Washington. So, from the end of February until mid May, Jac lived in California, training, and the kids and I continued our life in Reno. It was an interesting time. I figured my job was damage control, well actually, I thought I was just to be a single parent, but it turned into damage control. You know, not letting your kids brain damage get completely out of control! My sweet, smart Michael took this time to enjoy a conversation with the police, and found herself hiding from the fire department on a certain occasion. Madison found that sliding down the stairs on sleeping bags late into the night was the ticket, Quinn enjoyed his time having sleepovers with a wild group of boys, and Alexa figured this was a good time to spend as much time as possible with the neighbors, in hopes that they would adopt her. And I just spent an awful lot of time running, getting up to 6 miles a day!
We enjoyed a cluster of earthquakes that rattled Reno and myself for several weeks. The blessing in all of that was it made us get prepared. We also learned to really enjoy the simple things in life and each other. We had a great time!
Jac returned to Reno with enough time to help finish the packing and for the movers to show up. It was wonderful having someone else do this for us this time!
Michael also got her drivers license during the move, had a minor accident and finished out her Junior year of high school. The kids were sad to leave friends, but not terribly sad to leave Reno. I feel that we definitely had left our mark, but I don't think Reno could have handled anymore of the Chandlers, pretty soon they would have come looking for the parents.
Now we have been in Seattle area for about 7 months. We have loved living here, we have loved the green, the hills, the water and the mountains. Jac has opened a new restaurant and has been dealing with the challenges that that has brought. Michael is trying to survive her Sr Year, but has made great friends again, and is excited to finish so she can go back to Utah for college. She was just informed that she could graduate right now, but since she is only 16, I am going to make her stay and take that golf class that she is looking so forward to!
Madison is in the 8th grade, and with that comes all of the challenges of being 13, the hormones, the boy issues and the reality that Mom truly intends to keep her cell phone for quite a while! She is still playing the violin, and is doing very well in school. Scholastically, this has been a great move for her!
Quinn is in 5th grade and is in his last year of elementary school. It makes me sad to know that as much as I have wanted them to grow up, they truly are doing that. I never thought I would say that I miss having little kids, but occasionally, I do. Quinn also started playing the clarinet this year, and really seems to enjoy it, although I think he has plans to switch instruments at the end of the school year, probably because he knows how much I enjoy listening to the squeaking!
Alexa is now 8. She is in the 2nd grade and loves school! She probably had the easiest time settling in and feels like she has always been here. She seems to brighten every room with her smile and laugh. She was baptised this year and was so excited to have her Grandfather and Uncle come from Colorado to baptise her. She also was thrilled to have Grandma and Grandpa T come from Oregon and her cousin and Aunt to show up from California. She loves being the center of attention.
As for me, I keep myself busy. I am a counselor in the YW's program over the 14 and 15 year olds. I love it! Although it is a busy calling, the girls in our ward have such sweet, strong spirits, and I am grateful every week to get to share in that. I have started running again, although, not quite 6 miles or 3, but slowly I will get back to that. I don't know how long we will get to be in this area, but I am so grateful for all of the blessings that my Heavenly Father has bestowed on me. I might get sarcastic at times and laugh or cry at the way things are going, but I know, that my family is still together, that we love each other, we know how to laugh and sing and be silly and that the challenges that we are now facing will also pass and the lessons we have learned when we come out on the other side will be invaluable.
With this being said, Have a Happy and Safe 2009. We are so grateful for all of your friendship and love.

We have gotten to experience record snowfall


The beautiful green trails
And INCREDIBLE amounts of silliness!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Okay, the next time Ane says,"Devon's doing fine" I can now just check with you(: I still can't believe you are going to have a college student soon. You look way to young!!!

Devon said...

For the record, I am too young, I just started at 2!

Amparo said...

I am still sad that Michael did not choose CSU. She totally could of lived with us and we would of had a blast. Let's toast to the new challenges 2009 will bring us!

Harlene said...

So those are the plans for Christopher's room...I see, I see.

Linda said...

Cheers, baby! I am so glad you moved here. Hope you have a great week. Call me and let's do a mid-day getaway.