January 19, 2009

HOPE


Tomorrow marks a historic day in American history. I believe that most of America and indeed the world, will be sitting by with baited breath. You either love him, or hate him, but this man has the fate of America and indeed the rest of the world, resting upon his shoulders. I don't envy him this position. So I will sit, with the rest of my family and friends, and watch this event unfold.
I am putting a lot of trust in his ability to correct some of the past wrongs, but I am not naive in knowing that although he is in a position of power, there is much at play in the background. I am only hoping for a brighter future, not only for myself, but for my children as well.
As most of you know, we have had a very rough 3 years. We have been warned by the prophets to be prepared, and we thought we were. Last year, sitting in a Sunday School class, the Bishop asked us, how many of us were out of debt. I was able to raise my hand, but that was short lived.
We now find ourselves, after nearly 20 years of marriage, without a permanent home, with all of our savings exhausted, and though Handsome works nearly 13 hours a day, barely able to survive. We moved into a home, hoping that we would be able to keep our family there for as long as we desired, but have now realized, we have bitten off more than we can chew. Don't think we didn't do our homework, but that was not good enough. Now we are wondering what the next step is going to be. Will we need to move out of an area that we are loving? We hope not, but with Handsome having some medical issues, we are finding our future very much up in the air.
I only tell you this, to help you realize that you are not alone. I have talked to numerous friends and family that are struggling just as we are. People that thought that they were doing the right thing. What is right anymore?
So, I will watch the inauguration, hoping. Hoping for the change that was promised, but wise enough to know that it won't happen overnight.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Amen!!! I could not have said it any better.

Linda said...

I love your expressions of hope and faith. Isn't that really what it all comes down to? Just when we think we are in control of our lives, our families, our jobs, something invariably happens to pull out the proverbial rug from under our feet. Keep your faith. Keep sharing it. It really uplifts me.

Amparo said...

Well said! It really is such a historical moment. I hope he lives up to his promises and does not let us down. We all have the same hopes and dreams for our families, and hopefully this is the first chapter in the new book that will take us there.

Harlene said...

I'm excited for this President as well, although he can't do anything to help either of us. I know you know that, I'm just making conversation. We are in the same boat as you, it sucks and I'm sorry.

Let me know if you figure something out, I'd love to be let in on the secret...

nevadanista said...

Sorry to hear that your future is up in the air - not that everyones future isn't, but you know what I mean. Hope you can figure out a way to stay in the place you love :)